There is a tax benefit or liability in virtually every business and investment decision. With tax laws changing constantly and becoming increasingly complex, sound counsel is essential. Carr McClellan’s Taxation Group represents businesses, tax exempt organizations and individuals in a wide range of Federal, California and international tax planning. Attorneys on the team work closely with all other Carr McClellan practice areas to address the full spectrum of clients’ tax planning needs.
Our attorneys have successfully handled a wide variety complex Federal and California income tax audits and disputes. Our team has also handled local tax controversy matters, including property tax assessment appeals.
Areas of Expertise
- Tax consequences of the formation, operation and dissolution of business entities, with an emphasis on pass-through entities such as partnerships, limited liability companies and S corporations.
- Mergers, acquisitions and divisions of business entities.
- Tax-free exchanges.
- Formation, operation, and dissolution of tax-exempt organizations.
- Cross-border (international and across state lines) tax planning and transactions.
- Transfer pricing with an emphasis on intercompany documentation.
- Employee benefits and executive compensation.
- Tax planning for high net worth individuals.
- Obtaining advance rulings from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Audits, administrative appeals and litigation involving the Internal Revenue Service, Franchise Tax Board, and the State Board of Equalization.
- Taxation of damages and settlement awards.
- California property tax planning.
- Estate and gift tax.
- Income taxation of trusts and estates.
- Post mortem tax elections, including marital deduction and estate tax portability election.
- Income tax basis management.